Motor Vehicle Accident

If you have been injured by the wrongful actions or inaction of another, you are entitled to fair and just compensation. Attorney Ioannis A. Kaloidis will fight for this compensation. You are entitled to compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, physical and emotional pain and suffering, and possibly punitive damages for willful or intentional misconduct

The Kaloidis Law Firm, LLC will start working for you right away. We will deal with insurance company so you don’t have to. Let’s us worry about your case so you can focus on getting better.

What to do if you have been in an accident:

* Stop, check for injuries and call the police. Do not leave the scene of the accident. Check to see if anyone has been seriously injured or needs immediate medical attention. Call the police for assistance so that a report of the accident can be made.

* Exchange insurance information with the other driver. It is important to get this information so that a claim can be pursued on your behalf. Having this information at the time of your initial consultation will speed up the process.

* Document damage, identify witnesses, and take photos. This is very important. Whenever possible you should identify people who witnessed the accident and can say what happened. Also, photographs of the scene and the vehicles are very important. Document everything and provide that information to us at your initial consultation.

* Call The Kaloidis Law Firm, LLC. The insurance companies have people working for them 24-hours a day. You should too. Contact us for effective, aggressive representation right away.

* Don’t speak to the other party’s insurance adjusters. The Kaloidis Law Firm team will do this for you. Insurance adjusters are not looking out of you. They want to save money for their company at your expense. Call us and let us deal with the insurance company.

* Get medical treatment. Contact a medical professional right away so that you can be treated for your injuries. Follow your doctor’s recommendations and keep us informed about your treatment.

* Contact your insurance company. You have an obligation to put your company on notice. Contact them and let them know that you have been in an accident. After your initial consultation, we will handle the next steps in getting you compensation for your accident.


The following questions and answers are provided as a quick reference to answer most basic questions regarding personal injury and car accident cases generally.  To discuss your specific case please call our office and speak to one of our personal injury professional.


Should I talk to the adjuster?

The answer to this question is almost always no.  Insurance companies want to speak to you right away before you have time to talk to a lawyer.  They will also want to record everything you say when they do talk to you.   You should always speak with an attorney first.  In most, if not all cases, we will do the talking for you.  You may be required to speak to your insurance company directly at times in order to comply with the terms of your insurance policy.  However, you should call our office and speak to one of our personal injury professionals first.

Should I call my own insurance company?

Not without talking to us first.  You have a duty to report the accident to your insurance company for either property damage, medpay, or underinsured/uninsured motorist coverage reasons.  Contact our office first.  In most cases, we will contact your carrier to report the loss.

Do I have to report the accident to my insurance company?

Yes.  You have a duty to report for loss to your insurance company.  Failing to do so could jeopardize your rights with respect to uninsured and uninsured motorist coverage.  As indicated above, in most cases, we will make this call for you.

I was not at fault, why should I have to report the accident to my insurance?

Certain provisions of every automobile insurance policy come into play regardless of whose fault it was.  For instance, if you have purchased medical payments coverage as part of your policy, you must report the loss to the insurance company in order for them to start paying your medical bills.  With respect to property damage, you may have to report the accident in order to get your car fixed quickly.  This occurs where the other party does not have insurance.

Will reporting the accident to my insurance company automatically increase my insurance rates?

No.  Not every accident results in increased insurance rates.  The reporting of an underinsured or uninsured motorist claim will not automatically increase your rates, as these accidents are not your fault.  We strongly recommend that you discuss this with your insurance agent as well.

Should I give a statement to my insurance company?

No.  If you are asked to give a statement, respectfully decline until you have had an opportunity to speak to one of our experienced personal injury attorneys.  It is always better to fully discuss the accident in detail with one our team members first.  In the event that you are required ultimately to give a statement to your insurance company, you will be in a much better position having discussed the case with us first.

Should I allow myself to be recorded?

No.  We prefer that you not give a recorded statement.  Many insurance companies will attempt to scare people into giving recorded statements even where you are under no obligation to do so.  In the event that you are required to do so, it should be done with one of our experience personal injury attorneys present to assist you and to insure that what you have to say is accurately conveyed.

Should I talk to the other person’s insurance company?

Absolutely not.  They have no interest in helping you get the money you deserve.  Their job is to limit your recovery.  Contact us and we will speak on your behalf.

Should I take pictures of my car?

Absolutely.  It is very important that you document property damage in motor vehicle accident cases.  We ask that you take multiple photographs from different angles.  Please make a copy of the photographs you take and provide them to one of The Kaloidis Law Firm team members.

Should I take pictures of the other person’s car?

Yes.  Photographs of all the vehicles involved are very important.  If you are still at the scene of the accident and can safely take photographs, it is recommended that photographs be taken not only of all the cars involved, but their relative positions to one and other as well as where they came to rest on the roadway following the accident.

Should I take pictures of the intersection?

Yes.  If you can safely photograph the intersection, you should do so.  These photos may be helpful later in explaining how or where the accident occurred.

Can I share the photos with the other person’s insurance company?

It is best to contact our office and speak to one of our professionals first.  We can determine what to give the insurance company.  If you do give anything to the insurance company always keep the original for yourself or make a copy.  Do not give your only copy to the insurance company.

Should I take my vehicle for an estimate?

Yes.  If you have a trusted body shop or somewhere you would like to have the work done, take the vehicle there for an independent estimate of the damage.

Do I need more than one estimate?

No.  You do not need more than one estimate.  Sometimes however it helps to get more than one especially if there is a disagreement with the insurance company as to how much they should pay for your damages.

Should I allow my insurance company to see my vehicle?

Yes.  It is okay to allow your insurance company to inspect your vehicle.

Do I have to take my vehicle where the insurance company tells me?

No.  While you should cooperate in getting your vehicle inspected, you do not need to have it fixed where the insurance company tells you.

Can I choose my own auto body shop?

Yes.  You absolutely can choose your own body shop.

What if my estimate is more than the insurance company?

The body shop where you are getting the work done will most likely negotiate directly with the adjuster to get all the work covered.  You should not have to pay out of pocket unless you are paying your deductible.